Re: [Exim] Exim + courier-imap + catchall address

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim + courier-imap + catchall address
--
* Alan J. Cooper <alan@???> [20040103 13:01]: wrote:
> I'm running debian unstable on my server trying to set up a mail server
> with Exim (3.36) running as MTA and also running courier-imap.
>
> With just exim installed, I use search_type = lsearch* with a *:
> catchall entry in my alias file so that any misaddressed email goes to
> the catchall account. This works fine and the mail is delivered
> correctly to /var/mail/$username files.
>
> However, to use courier, I modified exim.conf local_delivery to look
> like
> local_delivery:
> driver = appendfile
> group = mail
> mode = 0660
> mode_fail_narrower = false
> envelope_to_add = true
> return_path_add = true
>
> directory=${home}/Maildir
> maildir_format = true
> prefix = ""

Look at my transport. You are missing the / at the end of the
line with:

directory = ${home}/Maildir/

That used to be significant. Also just include the space b4 and after
the = sign even if it's cosmetic. Maybe the parser gets confused.

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
directory = ${home}/Maildir/
create_directory = true
directory_mode = 700
no_from_hack
prefix = ""
suffix = ""
maildir_format
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
group = mail
mode = 0660

That aside, I think you should use something like
exim -d5 -bt some@address to see how real and non-existent addresses
will be handled.

> And now everything including correctly addressed email goes to the
> catchall. If I change search_type = lsearch* to search_type = lsearch
> then all mail goes to the correct users but misaddressed email is
> bounced.
>
> Is there anyway to have a catchall with delivery compatible with
> courier-imap?

You probably changed the order of the routers. Wait a minute.. you said
you run Exim-3.36. Tssk! That Exim had the concept of directors and
routers. It sucks to remember it. We are talking about directors here..

The alias file should be processed _AFTER_ the local_delivery router.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post