Re: [Exim] Exim and separate passwd file

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Andi Buechler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and separate passwd file
At 12:17 am +0100 2004/01/03, Andi Buechler wrote:
>Andi Buechler wrote:
>

>>>Downloading?
>>>Exim is neither a pop3, nor an imap server, it's a MTA.
>>>
>>Yes your right, actually I meant something like: "When I download new
>>messages with my MTA, exim authenticates it using pam."
>>
>Internet Mail terminology seems to be difficult...I'll try again:
>"When I download new messages with my MUA, exim authenticates it using
>pam."
>
>Hope that I only confused myself :)

yes, I understood, that did not confuse me. But still you are...
Exim, as others have said, has nothing to do with that
authentication. It is you imap/pop server that does. So you have to
look elsewhere for the answer... (mind that it is unlikely that the
corresponding process will have access to the password file exim
uses, unless they run as root).

Giuliano