RE: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: eli
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS
[ On Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 22:57:11 (-0500), Eli wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS
>
> Actually, Greg can be stuffing his socks down his own mouth right about now:
>
> [root@server!~] dig +nocomments www.planix.com

You run "dig" as root? I sure wouldn't ever dare to do that, at least
not on my own machines nor those of anyone I trust! :-)

(not that I'd ever use "dig" anyway, except for fooling around :-)

> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> +nocomments www.planix.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;www.planix.com.                        IN      A
> www.planix.com.         14024   IN      A       204.29.161.33

Nice try. To bad it's irrelevant and way off-base.

However if you "dig" a little deeper you'll find I am not the person
responsible for the DNS for Planix, nor for the reverse zone for the
network our public web server is reachable on.

Note too that this is simply an example of incomplete reverse DNS. What
is there is valid and correct as far as it goes. Note also that the
name "www.planix.com" is never used in any SMTP transactions (or at
least it's not supposed to be -- it's only for HTTP and there's not even
an MX for it).

(Of course that was supposed to be a CNAME, and I'm sure it once was,
but you know what they say about the feet of a cobbler's children....)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>