Re: [Exim] Failover virus/spam checking

Author: Richard Lithvall
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Failover virus/spam checking
On 2004-01-01 00:45, Gary Rule wrote:
> The idea is to have two scanning boxes that are accessible to check for
> spam and viruses. *
>
> As I understand the possible solutions I can use are exiscan and/or
> sa-exim. I have a test machine patched with both currently and I am
> using exiscan to reject malformed mime, and scanning/rejecting with
> clamAV. I am using sa-exim for spam checking.
>
> What I like about exiscan is the ability to use an external box to do
> the scanning (spamd_address, av_scanner). From what I have gathered the
> sa-exim patch calls spamc to scan the message and what I like most about
> this patch is that I can get more of the headers from SA.
>
> With my existing configuration clamd can be running on a remote host and
> as far as I know SA cannot, since I'm using sa-exim.

Consulting the spamc doc's reveals this:
        -d host
            Connect to spamd server on given host.  If host
            resolves to multiple addresses, then spamc will fail-
            over to the other addresses, if the first one cannot
            be connected to.

So go find the line that calls spamc in sa-exim.c:
ret=execl(SAspamcpath, "spamc", "-s", string_sprintf("%d",
SAmaxbody+16384), NULL);

And change it like this:
ret=execl(SAspamcpath, "spamc", "-s", string_sprintf("%d",
SAmaxbody+16384), "-d", "entry.that.resolves.to.multiple.addresses", NULL);

Then make sure you've got spamc on the mailhosts and that
"entry.that.resolves.to.multiple.addresses" resolves to your
spamassassin hosts.

Regards,
Richard