[Exim] Using IP address in dnslists check

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Using IP address in dnslists check
In the online spec doc:

**********
38.14. DNS lists keyed on domain names

<snip>

... If (for example) the message's sender is
user@??? the name that is looked up is

tld.example.dsn.rfc-ignorant.org

**********

I am confused by the doc. The example address looks
backwards, as the tld is normally at the end of a
valid address.

As I understand DNS lists (RBLs), one usually submits
a request using a **reversed** dotted string with
the list domain appended. Thus, the example:

"tld.example.dsn.rfc-ignorant.org"

would be a request to test domain "example.tld",
would it not? (Perhaps this reversal is dnslist
dependent, and/or different when testing IPs
versus domain/host names?)

OK, let's say we want to test a particular IP,
1.2.3.4, at cbl.abuseat.org. We must query:

"4.3.2.1.cbl.abuseat.org"

My question is, if I want to check IP 1.2.3.4
against a dnslist, in an ACL, do I use:

dnslists = cbl.abuseat.org/1.2.3.4
or
dnslists = cbl.abuseat.org/4.3.2.1
?

If Exim DOES the inversion for me, then the example
text in section 38.14 is incorrect.

If Exim does NOT do the inversion; then, although
the doc is technically correct as is, it is
confusing to see tld first in the example address.

Kind Regards,
Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.