Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-sm…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tim Jackson
To: LIST - Exim
Betreff: Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost fails
Hi Dan, on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:14:29 -0700 you wrote:

> I have to agree with others. It would be nice to be able to say "if
> unable to deliver using this method, EVEN IF IT IS A 5xx ERROR, try here
> next."

No, that wouldn't be nice, it would destroy the difference between a
permanent error and a temporary error. What's the point in permanent
errors if mailservers just ignore them? The error could be for any number
of reasons, and second-guessing it by automated means seems to me to be a
particularly Bad Idea. It would only make any kind of sense if there was a
very specific code which was defined by RFCs to mean "rejected purely on
the basis that you look like a dialup" and you took action which changed
solely that parameter, but there isn't.

I know what you're trying to achieve, and it's understandable - but I
don't think making Exim behave badly to get round the fact that you're on
a dialup/ADSL which some people have blacklisted is a very good idea.

Tim