Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-sm…

Author: Jochen Erwied
To: Exim-User
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost fails
--
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:14:29AM -0700, Dan Egli wrote:

> [...]

Didn't mention this one, since it already was discussed.

> I have to agree with others. It would be nice to be able to say "if
> unable to deliver using this method, EVEN IF IT IS A 5xx ERROR, try here
> next."

There are surely many different opinions on this. If a dialup thinks it
should deliver all mails directly (which I'm doing, too), it has to cope
with hosts not accepting mails from dialup using a special exception list
and an appropriate router in front of the default.

A general option 'treat_5xx_as_temporary' would still require manual
interaction. If a mail is rejected with 5xx, but not for dialup reasons,
the mail would incorrectly go to the smarthost. Maybe a finer tuning is
required, like the fetchmail-option 'antispam' listing all response
codes to treat as temporary failure.

The harsher version of the above: Get a fixed IP if you want to deliver
directly :-)

--
Jochen Erwied     | home: jochen@???     +49-208-38800-18, FAX: -19
Sauerbruchstr. 17 | work: joe@???  +49-2151-7294-24, FAX: -50