Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-sm…

Author: Calum Mackay
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: Jochen Erwied, hanasaki, LIST - Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost fails
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Jochen Erwied writes on 12/29/2003 4:39 AM:
>> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 08:03:14PM -0600, hanasaki wrote:
>>> Is there a way to have exim always try direct delivery and then fallback
>>> to smarthost if regular direct delivery fails?
>>
>> Yes. The option you are looking for is 'fallback_hosts' for your default
>> router.
>
> That won't really help if you get "550 we don't accept mail from hosts
> on dynamic IPs"

In the spec's discussion of the smtp transport option 'fallback_hosts',
it says:

"If Exim is unable to deliver to any of the hosts for a particular
address, and the errors are not permanent rejections, ..."

Wouldn't that rule out it's use in situations like 5xx errors, which I
would say *are* permanent rejections?

cheers,
c.