Re: [Exim] local_domains doesn't always work

Author: Christian Vogel
To: Jeff Lasman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_domains doesn't always work
Hi Jeff,

first, may I suggest that you maybe get the Exim Specification
from www.exim.org[1] (or better, yet, Philips' Book[2]) and read it,
maybe twice... I did it (read the spec), and it helps a **lot**
to figure out what exim does and how it works. At least the
spec (I have not read the book) is very well written.

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 06:51:48PM -0800, Jeff Lasman wrote:
> (1) local_domains is defined as "lsearch;/etc/virtual/domains".
> /etc/vitual/domains is a list of domain names hosted on the server.
> Where does exim get the domain name it compares with the contents of
> /etc/virtual/domains? Hopefully this isn't from something as spoofable
> as the ehlo line.

This is implicit for a test for domains. See Section 38.12 in the exim
spec, ACL conditions, search for domains = <...>[3]

        domains = <domain list>

        This condition is relevant only after a RCPT command.
        It check that the domain of the recipient address is in the
        domain list.

> flexibility. I'm also not sure that localhost should follow a colon.
> Shouldn't it perhaps be in the file?

in a Host-List, "localhost : " means: "Localhost and (empty)"
so it applies to the localhost address 127.0.0.1 and
messages which don't have a corresponding address, namely
smtp over stdin/stdout. (I think it's exim -bs)

This is at least mentioned in Section 7 of the Specification[4],
in the description of the default config file:

        accept  hosts = :

        This ACL statement accepts the recipient if the sending host
        matches the list. But what does that strange list mean? It doesn't
        actually contain any host names or IP addresses. The presence of the
        colon puts an empty item in the list; Exim matches this only if the
        incoming message didn't come from a remote host. The colon is important.
        Without it, the list itself is empty, and can never match anything.

     Chris

[1] Exim Specification
        http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec.html
        pdf, postscript, texinfo is here:
        ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/exim4/

[2] Exim Book
        http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book/

[3] Section 38.12, Exim Specification
        http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_38.html#SECT38.12