[Exim] local_domains doesn't always work

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] local_domains doesn't always work
in the thread RBL chcking only for incoming messages Kevin Reed wrote:

> deny message = $sender_host_address is listed at $dnslist_domain
>      hosts = !+local_domains
>      dnslists = list.dsbl.org : \
>          sbl.spamhaus.org : \
>          bl.spamcop.net : \
>          relays.ordb.org : \
>          korea.services.net : \
>          china.blackholes.us : \
>          russia.blackholes.us

I've tried this and it doesn't work; I get this error every time exim
tries to run this acl:

<snip>
2003-12-24 20:05:11 SMTP connection from [199.169.208.132] (TCP/IP
connection co
2003-12-24 20:05:11 unknown named host list "+local_domains"
</snip>

Yet local_domains is properly defined; this is line 40 from my
/etc/exim.conf file:

<snip>
domainlist local_domains = lsearch;/etc/virtual/domains
</snip>

And it's used in my check_recipient acl:

<snip>
check_recipient:
  # Exim 3 had no checking on -bs messages, so for compatibility
  # we accept if the source is local SMTP (i.e. not over TCP/IP).
  # We do this by testing for an empty sending host field.
  accept  hosts = :
  accept  domains = +local_domains
  accept  domains = +relay_domains
  accept  hosts = +relay_hosts
  accept  hosts = +auth_relay_hosts
          endpass
          message = authentication required
          authenticated = *
  deny    message = relay not permitted
</snip>

Any idea why this would work in one acl, yet not in another? Is
something perhaps changing it on the fly?

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation