Re: [Exim] exim SSL without TLS possible?

Author: Robert Kehl
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim SSL without TLS possible?
On Monday, December 22, 2003 3:24 PM
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Robert Kehl wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I want to use exim as a client to authenticate against an SMTP server
>> that excepts SSL connections on port 465 without issuing a STARTTLS
>> command. The same behaviour can be achieved in exim if it's acting
>> as a server, btw.
>>
>> How can I get towards this?
>
> -tls-on-connect

Thanks for the quick answer, philip, but I seem to miss something:

Were -tls-on-connect the one to choose if wanted exim to be the client
connecting to a non-STARTTLS-aware server? If so, how to configure exim
to not imt the STARTTLS completely?

On Monday, December 22, 2003 4:24 PM
Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this will help - but have you considered SSH tunneling
> to get encryption? (Assuning that's what you really are looking for)

If I wrap exim in xinetd, I would have to let it use a different port,
say 465, which is I want to avoid, because I then have to configure my
email clients.

What I'd like to achive is exim talking TLS without STARTTLS to an SMTP
server somwehre else on port 465.

With highest regards,

Robert Kehl