Re: [Exim] large SMTP banners and callouts appear to have pr…

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: wayne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] large SMTP banners and callouts appear to have problems.
On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 00:14, wayne wrote:
> I've recently learned about a site that exim callouts don't seem to
> agree with. (I'm using debian's "heavy" version of exim 4.30). The
> SMTP banner on the site is over 2k in size (mostly anti-spam text).
> Looking in verify.c do_callout(), there appears to be a 1k
> responsebuffer and if the banner is larger than this, exim gives up.

I agree with your findings. I note that transports/smtp.c, which is the
code used for sending e-mail, has a buffer of 4096 bytes. I suggest you
change the callout code so that they are in sync.

> It appears that I'm missing too many packages to trivially compile
> exim to test stuff, so I was wonder if this is a known problem, an RFC
> violation (I don't think so), or what.

won't Debian pull in any build requisites if you tell it to?

I can't see anything in the RFC limiting the number of lines in a
multiline response.
--
Kjetil T.