Re: [Exim] no host name found for IP address (Exim 4.24)

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] no host name found for IP address (Exim 4.24)
Oliver Egginger said:
> Hello,
>
> I see "no host name found for IP address" messages in exim logfiles a
> few thousand times each day. Some of our normal users have difficulties
> with this check. Is it a common convention that a sending MTA must have
> a dns-entry? Would it be possible (and wise) to switch off this check?
>
> - oliver

Even AOL and Earthlink are checking for those now....

I leave it on and if a problem arrises, I white list the site temporarily
while they get it fixed.

In the past, it used to be a lost cause for some places trying to get them
to fix it but lately, it seems that when I identify the problem and send
it to the proper people, they fix it fast... that is if they are supposed
to be using that IP for mail services..

I suspect that is because a lot of places are now checking for that and
won't budge when they find a site without it.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums