Re: [Exim] Blocking spam

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Alex
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Blocking spam
On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 15:03, Alex wrote:
> Hi!
> I've migrated to Exim from sendmail, but forced a
> problem:
> how to block the messages, received from hosts which
> are not the MX of the domain, ther IP belongs to?
> (this was realised in my previous configuration to
> block spammers)

Why are people convinced that this is any use whatsoever in cutting down
spam (well it will work in that it will reject a whole pile of your
incoming mail, but it is not a spam marker)?

Many (most) large ISPs have several sets of mail systems. One set will
be the incoming set which handles incoming mail, and these are listed in
the MX records of the domains which they handle mail for. Another set,
almost certainly a different group of machines (other than in the cases
of very small companies) will be the outgoing mail machines that send
mail from their customers to other sites. The outgoing machines are not
marked as MXes and should not be.

    Nigel.