Re: [Exim] queue_only_file behavior

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Bradford Carpenter
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] queue_only_file behavior
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Bradford Carpenter wrote:

> Just "exim -bd" as before with no queue runners scheduled.

Hmm. That should be OK. It should never start queue runners. You can
verify that by looking for "Start queue run" on the log (assuming you
haven't disabled that message in log_selector).

> The idea is to pass along the emails to exim for queuing locally via
> SMTP when not connected, then have exim send the emails via the
> smarthost once connected. This is what I thought using the
> queue_only_file was supposed to accomplish.

Indeed it should. I wonder what is going wrong?

> Now I'm really confused. My system is set up to get mails to exim via
> SMTP; if the daemon isn't running, exim receives no mails to "queue
> only" as far as I know.

Message can be passed in not via SMTP, or via local (non-TCP/IP) SMTP on
the standard input. I wasn't sure which method you were using. If you
are only using SMTP over TCP/IP, then yes, of course you need to have
the daemon running (unless you use inetd).

> Obviously, I'm missing something basic. Can you clarify what I'm
> misunderstanding in this? Otherwise, back to the exim specs, I guess.

I can't tell, but I can tell you how to debug some more. Start the Exim
daemon with

exim -d -bd 2>/some/file

This will not disconnect from the terminal (because debugging is turned
on). Run your failing test. Use ^C to kill the daemon. Then take a look
at the debugging information in /some/file. If it doesn't make sense,
send it to me (probably best not the whole list if it is very long).

Philip