Re: [Exim] My Server as spamming machine !

Author: Dominik Ruf
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] My Server as spamming machine !
* James P. Roberts <punster@???> [2003-12-15 18:33]:
> What would be the impact of deleting the following line from rcpt ACL?
>
> accept hosts = :
>
> If I understand correctly, deleting this line would remove the "free pass" for
> local "command line" injected messages, and instead apply the rest of the rcpt
> ACL, including, for example, authentication tests.
>
> I suggest this only as a temporary stop-gap measure. I'm not expert enough to
> know if it would work without breaking other fundamental things. Any comments
> from the experts? What "features" break if you delete this line from the ACL?

What about cronjobs sending email, other "system" tasks sending email,
...?

> Another suggestion:
>
> Could one add a log line to "accept hosts = :", to track the userid of anyone
> using the command line to inject messages? Might this help identify the
> culprit? Something like:
>
>   accept hosts = :
>          log_message = local injection by $originator_uid as $sender_address

> From the Exim Spec:
>
> $originator_uid: The value of $caller_uid that was set when the message was
> received. For messages received via the command line, this is the uid of the
> sending user. For messages received by SMTP over TCP/IP, this is normally the
> uid of the Exim user.

That's not necessary, as the $originator_uid is already logged in
the Received: headers of local messages in a standard exim install.

> I suspect one would find the culprit to be "Apache." Not much help, I
> suppose...
>
> If this is the case, the solution is to be found in the webserver config, not
> in Exim, I think.

ACK.

The only thing which would "really" solve this problem would be to
run cgi-scripts from "customers" under separate uids via mechanisms
like suEXEC, suPHP oder other cgi-wrappers. That way they can send
email via /usr/sbin/sendmail and the administrator could easily
track which user is sending out the emails and disable that account
without affecting the other users.

Dominik