Re: [Exim] Whitelist to

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Ron McKeating
CC: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Whitelist to
| I know lots of you use exim, spamassassin and exiscan so maybe one of
| you could answer this question. If I decide to tell exiscan to reject
| any message with a spam score over 20 what happens if one of the
| addressees is in the "whitelist_to" part of local.cf in spamassassin.
| Would that user still get a copy even if the spam score was over 20, and
| if so would it also go to all the other recipients in the envelope
| header ?

Scanning at SMTP-time its all or nothing.

From "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf"

  whitelist_to add@???
    If the given address appears as a recipient in the
    message headers (Resent-To, To, Cc, obvious envelope
    receipient, etc,) the mail will be whitelisted.

So if "add@???" appears in To/Cc then the rule trigers and scores -6,
at least in our SA version. If that brings the message under your
threshold then all recipients get it. Otherwise none get it.

Checking headers this way can be useful for whitelisting spammy mailing
lists where the To: header remains consistent and the From: does not.

However, checking headers this way is virtually useless for implementing
per-user prefs in an SMTP-time scanning environment. For that, check out
the exiscan examples file...