Re: [Exim] Spam Assassin

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam Assassin
Hi Rahul, on Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:33:50 +0530 you wrote:

> See actually i wanted to install relay through domains but it didn't
> happened so couldn't upgrade to exim 4

Still not sure what you're trying to do but as both me and Ruth have said,
Exim 4 is very flexible and you should be able to configure it to relay in
whatever way you want.

It would be worthwhile setting up a test machine, reading the default
configuration file carefully, and also reading the Exim manual, especially
the bit about ACLs. I think you'll then begin to appreciate the
flexibility that you have in Exim 4, especially in regard to relaying
controls.

> but now i even have to install span assassin but same problem again...
> is it not compatible with exim 3 or what??

SpamAssassin isn't fundamentally "compatible" or "incompatible" with Exim,
as it's a separate piece of software. However, there are three main ways
of using it (as discussed briefly in my HOWTO):

- via routers, where you accept mails, pass via a router to SpamAssassin
and then reinject. You can do this with Exim 3 or Exim 4, but it's a
fairly poor solution because you either blackhole mails which you think
are spam (making your mail unreliable) or bounce them to the "sender"
which is bad, because the sender is usually faked.

- via Exiscan (Exim 4 only, at least for recent versions), which lets you
scan/reject at SMTP DATA time for spam/viruses

- via SA-Exim (Exim 4 only), which lets you scan/reject at SMTP DATA time
for spam

Tim