Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Russell King
Para: Exim User's Mailing List
CC: Philip Hazel
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:44:10PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Tuesday, December 9, 2003 at 10:14:48 (+0000), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> > That's a good description of the way I have always understood this.
>
> No, it's totally bogus.

So you're going to mandate that all hosts on the internet must accept
email, whether they are running a SMTP daemon or not, just because
you can mail postmaster@[theiripaddress] ?

This is the logical extension to the argument that postmaster@[ipliteral]
works. Remember - one of the arguments put forward is that any host
which can send mail should be contactable by this means so that problems
can be reported.

Consider the case where a host does not run a SMTP daemon, but has (eg)
/usr/sbin/sendmail invoked by some user program which routes mail out
from the host.

Consider the case where a host sends mail out from behind a firewall,
but does not allow incoming SMTP connections to that specific host.

I'm sure there's many more cases which need consideration, and you'll
soon realise that requiring postmaster@[ipliteral] actually only solves
/one/ problem case.

> You cannot look at this issue from one direction only.

No, I think you're looking at the issue from one direction only. Take
a moment to consider the side cases of wanting postmaster@[ipliteral]
to work.

--
Russell King