Re: [Exim] callbacks and <>

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] callbacks and <>
--On Tuesday, December 09, 2003 17:37:18 +0000 Matthew Byng-Maddick <exim@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 12:28:22PM -0500, Bruce Cornett wrote:
>> ----------------------
>> Because if you implement callbacks, you're most likely not refusing <>
>> What I already discussed with Philip was to have callbacks that first do
>> MAIL FROM: <>
>> fail null mail from
>> or
>> RCPT TO: <dest>
>> fail null mail from
>> RSET
>> MAIL FROM: <postmater@mysite>
>> RCPT TO: <dest>
>
> What happens if dest does a callback? How do you avoid "callbackloops"?

By using something other than 'postmaster' in the fallback. I
don't have this automated; but I've occasionally manually changed
the envelope sender of a frozen bounce message to 'devnull@???',
with an /etc/aliases entry for 'devnull: :blackhole:'. So if they
try to send it back, it falls into the black hole instead of looping.

I have often thought it would be nice to have a way to configure
that as an automatic final fallback for bounce delivery.

-Pat