Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Russell King
Para: Bill Hacker
CC: exim
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:48:42AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
> My take after following this issue is that any server running any sort
> of MTA, even if only for outbound cron job reports, and especially if on
> a domain-less devel box, or any sort of 'backend' not otherise in an MX
> record as a mail host, *should at least* 'alias' or forward
> <postmaster@???> AND <postmaster@(#.#.#.#)> to another address
> attached to a reachable human being (and ONLY to that address).

Note that I wasn't arguing whether it was a good idea or not, I was
just pointing out a scenario where it doesn't seem sensible.

However, RBL lists who require postmaster@[ipliteral] to work are
inventing their own rules; there is nothing which mandates such
behaviour in the RFCs.

If people want to expect such an address to work at every site, the
first step should be to get it discussed in the appropriate forums,
and create an updated RFC.

It should not be the place of RBLs to mandate desired internet
practice.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/