Re: [Exim] Callouts and EHLO

Author: Philip Hazel
To: gARetH baBB
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callouts and EHLO
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, gARetH baBB wrote:

> Is it me or do callout verifies not try esmtp, but just HELO ?

From the 4.30 manual, section 38.21:

For a sender callout check, Exim makes SMTP connections to the remote hosts,   |
to test whether a bounce message could be delivered to the sender address. The |
following SMTP commands are sent:                                              |

  HELO <primary host name>                                                     |
  MAIL FROM:<>                                                                 |
  RCPT TO:<the address to be tested>                                           |
  QUIT                                                                         |

LHLO is used instead of HELO if the transport's "protocol" option is set to    |
'lmtp'. A recipient callout check is similar, except that the MAIL command     |
contains the sender address of the incoming message.                           |