Re: [Exim] cyrus NUL failures

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] cyrus NUL failures
| Since moving to the cyrus imap/pop server I am having a problem with cyrus's refusal
| to take messages with Null characters.

| If a user manages to send such a message it passes through exim OK but is rejected
| by cyrus.

We have a similar issue - some of our message store servers run Novell Netmail,
which barfs if any NULLs in the headers/body. In particular, the Netmail
SMTP daemon never gives the 2xx response to DATA, so the connection rudely
times out. Like duh !

We thought about using exiscan's rexexp feature to detect and reject such
messages during the dialog. But we couldn't get this to work. Regexp
looking for NULL never triggered.

Nowadays we deliver to those destinations using a transport filter which
uses "tr" to bin the damm things:

transport_filter = /usr/bin/tr -d \\000

which seems to work fine. Thanks to Michael Fischer v. Mollard for
suggesting this.

Cheers

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service