[Exim] Freezing pipes

Author: Mike Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Freezing pipes
No, not a request for insulation...

We've got exim feeding mail to an external binary which checks a
password file (check_local_user is disabled), quotas and delivers
mail somewhere if appropriate.

If the user doesn't exist then the binary has a return code of 128,
if the user is over quota then the return code is 192.

What we want is for exim treat the failure to deliver as it would
if check_local_user was enabled and the user didn't exist. i.e a bounce.

However the current behaviour seems to be that exim is sending a bounce
*and* freezing the message. I've read through the docs and as far as I can
tell unless temp_errors or ignore_status is set exim *should* treat the
above as a permenant error.

Here is an appropriate log extract:

root@scree:/var/log/exim4# fgrep 1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F mainlog
2003-12-04 08:51:00 1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F <= www@??? H=serenity.mcc.ac.uk [130.88.200.93] P=esmtp S=1036 id=E1ARpBt-0000oK-00@???
2003-12-04 08:51:00 1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F <asdf@???>: afs_mail_spool transport output: Aborting (code 1: asdf:: Can't find addressee in passwd file.)
2003-12-04 08:51:00 1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F ** asdf@??? R=afs_local_user T=afs_mail_spool: Child process of afs_mail_spool transport returned 128 from command: /local/packages/afsmail/bin/afsdeliver
2003-12-04 08:51:00 1ARpCO-0000El-5F <= <> R=1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F U=mail P=local S=1992
2003-12-04 08:51:00 1ARpCO-0000Eg-2F Completed

and here is the appropriate conf extract:

afs_mail_spool:
debug_print = "T: pipe for $local_part@$domain"
driver=pipe
user=mail
command="/local/packages/afsmail/bin/afsdeliver ${local_part} ${sender_address} ${message_size}"
temp_errors=73:75
return_fail_output
log_output

I feel I'm missing something quite fundamental here but my brain is feeling
rather scrambled.

Thanks

Mike

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing