[Exim] remote mailserver accepts no mail from my mailserver

Author: Alexander Goeres
To: exim liste
Subject: [Exim] remote mailserver accepts no mail from my mailserver
Hello everybody!

I wonder if someone might be able to help me with a problem of sending mail
from my mailserver.
I'm running a mailserver with exim 3.36 (i KNOW it's old and deprecated, but I
didn't have time to convert and won't have for some time..). Some of our
customers reported, that mail they sent to one address was constantly
delayed.
The relevant Log-enties are:

>2003-12-02 11:18:37 1AR6W8-00025t-00 == recipient@??? T=remote_smtp
>defer (-44): retry time not reached for any host

and
>remote.mailser.ver connection timed out

I tried to telnet to the remote.maiser.ver form my mailserver and it didn't
work. Telnetting from at home was ok. I was told that sending mail via a
different provider worked.
Obviously the remote.mailser.ver doesn't accept port 25 from my mailserver.
But this remote.mailser.ver is the only one to behave like this, nearly all
other mail goes out as it should. Telnetting from my mailserver to a
different remote.mail.server was perfect.

I didn't find our mailserver in a spam-blocking list, none of our customers
sends spam (I hope).

I tried to trace the problem down but now I'm stuck. The mailservers system is
Debian Woody, just like on my computer at home.
Running exim with the -bv option just showed, that my mailserver tries to
connect to remote.mailser.ver and then that's it. I let it try for more than
10 minutes but it didn't succeed.
I found some strange entry in the output during this debugging run:
>Connecting to remote.mailser.ver [62.128.193.29.25] ...

It looks as if it should be an IP-address with a port number, but I thought a
colon was needed to separate these..

If anybody could give me a hint where else I could/should look for a solution
or even what this solution could be I'd be extremly glad.

Waiting and hoping for the best

Alexander Goeres

agoeres@???
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87