[Exim] Migrating Exim3 settings to Exim4 (complete newbie co…

Author: David Höhn
To: Exim Users
Subject: [Exim] Migrating Exim3 settings to Exim4 (complete newbie coming from teh sendmail corner)
Hello everyone.

I am trying to setup a mailing list server and I just wanted to verify
that I did the "right thing"tm.

I am using Sympa, which has configuration instructions for Exim3 but not
Exim4 and thus I am unsure if I have done this correctly. My setup looks
as follows:

trusted_users = mail:sympa (The exim user is called mail on that
system,                 sympa is the user of the mailing list
                service)

Further down:

system_aliases:
~ driver = redirect
~ allow_fail
~ allow_defer
~ data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}
~ user = mail
~ file_transport = address_file
~ pipe_transport = address_pipe
~ file = /etc/aliases
~ search_type = lsearch
~ user = sympa

(I guess /etc/aliases would hold the same data that is used on a
sendmail system?)

Then further down

address_pipe:
~ driver = pipe
~ return_output

sympa_pipe:
~ driver = pipe
~ command = "/usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue $local_part"
~ return_path_add
~ delivery_date_add
~ envelope_to_add
~ user = nobody
~ group = nogroup

sympa_special_pipe:
~ driver = pipe
~ command = "/usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue $local_part$local_part_suffix"
~ return_path_add
~ delivery_date_add
~ envelope_to_add
~ user = nobody
~ group = nogroup

sympa_bounce_pipe:
~ driver = pipe
~ command = "/usr/lib/sympa/bin/bouncequeue $local_part"
~ return_path_add
~ delivery_date_add
~ envelope_to_add
~ user = nobody
~ group = nogroup

sympa:
~ driver = smartuser

(Here I am not sure if this should not be group and user sympa)

further down:

~ # if you want to restrict only to some domain, put there
~ #
~ domains = mydomain

~ transport = sympa_pipe
~ require_files = /var/lib/sympa/expl/$local_part

sympa_special:
~ driver = smartuser

~ # if you want to restrict only to some domain, put there
~ #
~ domains = mydomain

~ transport = sympa_special_pipe
~ suffix = -request : -editor : -subscribe : -unsubscribe
~ require_files = /var/lib/sympa/expl/$local_part

sympa_bounce:
~ driver = smartuser

~ # if you want to restrict only to some domain, put there
~ #
~ domains = mydomain

~ transport = sympa_bounce_pipe
~ suffix = -owner
~ require_files = /var/lib/sympa/expl/$local_part

As i said, i am not sure if those entries are still valid for an Exim4
server. I am grateful for tips, as I come from teh sendmail world i am
not yet fully at home with Exim. Thank you very much in advance

- -d

- --
nee amata wo mitsukete soshite midoto wasrezu
~     domma mi mumega itakutemo soba mi iru mo
~                        zutto...zutto...zutto