Re: [Exim] Exim4 and vexim - No login possible

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Dan Evans
CC: exim, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim4 and vexim - No login possible
On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:01:27PM +0100, Dan Evans wrote:
> > Don't know where to search for the logs... Nothing in the standard dirs.
>
> /var/logs/mysql.log on my distro (Debian) Does your syslog say anything?

This is generalyl good advice for anyone debugging a MySQL related
issue, and as more people start to use it with Exim (vexim or not) this
might become helpful.

Make sure MySQL is starting with the '--log' option. My FreeBSD system
uses the following startup commands:
DB_DIR=/var/db/mysql
PIDFILE=${DB_DIR}/`/bin/hostname -s`.pid
/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql --log --datadir=${DB_DIR} --pid-file=${PIDFILE}

This creates a log file '/var/log/mysql/pear.log' as 'pear' is my
hostname. This puts in all the queries that are executed against the
server.

If you don't see any queries from exim, that means there's a database
connectivity problem. Make sure in exim you have specified the server
name (and optionally the path to the UNIX socket if you are using it
locally), the database name, the username and the password.

Specifically for vexim, join the vexim mailing list and there will be
tons of help there. There are some really smart people using vexim (far
smarter than I am).

Finally you can run (as root): exim -bh 1.2.3.4 -d
and watch the debug messages and see if anything interesting is spit
back when you try to converse with exim.