Re: [Exim] .forward files and spam counterfeits

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] .forward files and spam counterfeits
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, John (TJ) Penton wrote:

> Suggestion:
>
> Don't refuse the spam, simply drop it silently.

I am _most_ reluctant to go down that route, for the very reason that
you state below.

> This does have the disadvantage that false-positive spam detections go
> undetected by any genuine sender (they won't receive a bounce message).

And that's my problem. Users getting an occasional spam is no big
deal, and serves as a reminder to the users just how hard we are
working on their behalf ;-) When they complain, we can show them the
statistics (~70% spam, the last time I looked at the numbers, and it's
surely got worse now).

But if they got the idea that email was unreliable - that they could
not rely on either (bona fide) email getting delivered or a
non-delivery report getting back, then it would do nothing for our
reputation as system admins.

thanks anyway...