Re: [Exim] race condition, locking, crash

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Peter D. Gray
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] race condition, locking, crash
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Peter D. Gray wrote:

> Ahhhh... here is the nub of the issue. This may solve the problem.
> If exim keeps the db files open, how do I instruct
> it to close and re-open all the files it has open?

Exim runs as multiple, short-lived processes, except for the daemon,
which doesn't do much other than spawn child processes. Individual
processes may keep the files open for short periods (e.g. while routing
a message). However, they will not be kept open for long periods.

> Obviously, as aliases are updated for example, I need to
> rebuild the aliases DB files.

Once new files are in place, any new Exim process will get them.