Re: [Exim] HELO & multiple domains

Author: Ken Lowther
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO & multiple domains
I killed my original reaction post, which is, "HUH?" We handle dozens of
different email domains for different customers. No one has ever complained
about the mail server name in headers. Most people never look at headers.
"Unprofessionsal"? Not every company has their own dedicated mail server. I
think the person that said this must want their company to appear to be
something it isn't perhaps?

If it really bothers you, name your server something like
professionalmailsevices.something.com

Ken

Quoting Tim Jackson <lists@???>:

> Hi jzaw, on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:46:47 +0000 you wrote:
>
> > > helo_data = ${lookup{${lc:$sender_address_domain}}lsearch \
> > > {/etc/mail/domains/helo}{$value}{$primary_hostname}}
> > that looks v cool and i think ill add something similar to mine (im
> > also a relative newbie)
>
> Whilst that idea is potentially useful, can I just add a note of caution
> here that making up random HELO names that "sound good" is not a
> particularly good idea as a general rule - it is supposed to be meaningful
> so (as someone said) you should definitely have at least an A record for
> any HELO names you are giving, and if at all possible it would be good to
> have consistent reverse DNS. (I am sure Greg W will be pleased to put it
> in stronger words than that :)

Ken Lowther
Comprehensive Internet Services
Vice President