Re: [Exim] MX without A allowed by which RFC's?

Author: Andreas J Mueller
To: Dominik Ruf
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] MX without A allowed by which RFC's?
Hi Dominik!

> Additionally, I'm pretty sure any domain whose MX RR entry doesn't have
> an A RR will be welcome by the rfc-ignorant.org team for listing in at
> least their postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org DNSBL. *eg*

Please read again carefully the original poster's question. He was
asking whether a domain having an MX record needs an additional A
record. The answer to that question is: it doesn't.

If you have
    example.com.  MX 10 mail.example.com.
then you do not need
    example.com.  A 192.168.1.1

You need, however,
    mail.example.com.  A 192.168.2.1
and this RR MUST NOT be a CNAME.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused...

Andy