Re: [Exim] exiwhat

Author: Scott Courtney
To: exim-users, Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiwhat
On Thursday 13 November 2003 04:42, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Scott Courtney wrote:
> > Okay, Exim runs as user "exim", group "mail".
> >
> > The spool directory is /home/exim/spool/. It is owned by "exim:mail" and
> > has permissions of 755.
> >
> > There is an exim-process.info file in the spool directory, owned by
> > "exim:mail" and with permissions of 640. I ran "exiwhat" and verified
> > that this file is successfully deleted and re-created, with the same
> > ownership and permissions.
>
> That sounds good. But does the file acquire any content?

Yes, it does. I'm sorry for the ambiguity in the phrase "re-created", which
could be interpreted to mean a zero-length file. The process info file is
rebuilt with the same content as what comes out of the exiwhat command (or
something that looks very similar, anyway).

> One test you could do would be to run an extra daemon that doesn't
> actually do anything, but with debugging enabled. While it is running,
> use "exiwhat" and see if the debugging output is useful. For example,
> run
>
> exim -d -bd -oX 1225
>
> which will listen for SMTP input on port 1225, and write debugging
> output to your screen. You can kill such a daemon with ^C because it is
> still connected to the terminal.
>
> As an alternative to exiwhat, just send the process a SIGUSR1 signal,
> and see what that does.

I'll try this test later today for you. I'm in Ohio and the physical console
is in Illinois, so I need a partner to watch the console while I run the
test.

Thanks again for the further investigative work.

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them