Re: [Exim] FW: question about DNS timeouts

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Houle, Michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] FW: question about DNS timeouts
On (2003/11/10 10:25), Houle, Michael wrote:

> I have a mail queue on our main routing host that has over 600
> messages. Over 95% are error messages relating to spammers and their
> "made-up" email domains.
>
> In a nutshell, I'd like to configure exim to try only once or twice to
> deliver bounce messages and then drop them.

Go one step further and prevent them from even entering the queue. Do
sender verification. In its simplest (and most widely accepted) form,
it just checks for a deliverable remote domain or deliverable local
user.

Sender verification is enabled by default in exim4 in the ACLs, so I
assume you're using exim3. In exim3, sender verification is controlled
with the main configuration option sender_verify:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_toc.html#TOC353

Consider enabling recipient verification as well, with the
receiver_verify option:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_toc.html#TOC326

And give some serious thought to upgrading to exim4. It's a truly
remarkable piece of software.

Ciao,
Sheldon.