Re: [Exim] exiwhat

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Scott Courtney
Para: exim-users, Philip Hazel
Assunto: Re: [Exim] exiwhat
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 04:38, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Scott Courtney wrote:
> > Why does the "exiwhat" command output data to the physical console
> > (/dev/console) even when it is run (by root) from an SSH session over the
> > network?
>
> No idea. Exiwhat is a (not very long) shell script that outputs to its
> standard output. It is not sophisticated at all.

Well, whaddya know! I never realized it was a shell script; figured it was
compiled C code (never had occasion to look at its source, so......).

I wonder if the key is in this comment from the source code:

# Shell script for seeing what the exim processes are doing. It gets rid
# of the old process log, then sends SIGUSR1 to all exim processes to get
# them to write their state to the log. Then it displays the contents of
# the log.

Could it be that the Exim process responding to SIGUSR1 writes out a console
message directly, rather than those messages coming from exiwhat itself? Is
this something that might be distro-dependent? (RH 8 is used in this instance.)

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them