Re: [Exim] Setup for secondary MXes.

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Thomas Fini Hansen
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Giuliano Gavazzi
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Setup for secondary MXes.
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:45:04AM +0100, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
> At 8:53 +0100 2003/11/11, Thomas Fini Hansen wrote:
> >I might just be stupid here, but I was testing setting up Exim to be a
> >secondary MX for some domains, by using a non-existent host as primary
> >MX. First try was just using the already set up relay_domains, with
>
> yes, that might be the problem, depending on what you mean by non
> existent host... MX records must be valid. You can point them to
> machines either not listening on port 25 or have the primary MX
> firewall drop connections to port 25, if you want to check that your
> secondary works. There are of course other variations. But the best

Non-existent as in "there's a MX RR pointing to a A RR, there's just
no box using that IP", simulating that someone pulled the plug.

> method would be to set up the secondary initially protected from
> incoming port 25 connections except from some test host. You can then
> test your secondary by connecting manually to port 25 from another
> host (NOT in the relay_from_host list).
>
> >the result that Exim bounced the mails almost immediately, which
> >whatsn't exactly what I was looking for.
>
> the error from the log would help here. But I wonder if you had the
> primary MX pointing at some private address.

Nope. An address on the same public network we just haven't used. I
just tried again:

2003-11-11 10:19:45 1AJUga-0001Jv-S9 == testdfd@???
R=dnslookup_relay_to_domains T=remote_smtp_backup defer (113): No
route to host

2003-11-11 10:19:45 1AJUga-0001Jv-S9 ** testdfd@???: retry
timeout exceeded

And I have delay_after_cutoff = false.

> >So how have people set up their secondaries out there?
>
> normally..

And how's 'normal' defined?

I got the secondary domains in the DB, so I can do special router and
transport, I just need to figure out what options will make Exim keep
the mails as long as it possibly can (until the retry rules gives up),
preferably ignoring failures that would make regular relaying bounce
right away.

--
Thomas
beast@???