Re: [Exim] Setup for secondary MXes.

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Thomas Fini Hansen, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Setup for secondary MXes.
At 8:53 +0100 2003/11/11, Thomas Fini Hansen wrote:
>I might just be stupid here, but I was testing setting up Exim to be a
>secondary MX for some domains, by using a non-existent host as primary
>MX. First try was just using the already set up relay_domains, with

yes, that might be the problem, depending on what you mean by non
existent host... MX records must be valid. You can point them to
machines either not listening on port 25 or have the primary MX
firewall drop connections to port 25, if you want to check that your
secondary works. There are of course other variations. But the best
method would be to set up the secondary initially protected from
incoming port 25 connections except from some test host. You can then
test your secondary by connecting manually to port 25 from another
host (NOT in the relay_from_host list).

>the result that Exim bounced the mails almost immediately, which
>whatsn't exactly what I was looking for.

the error from the log would help here. But I wonder if you had the
primary MX pointing at some private address.

>So how have people set up their secondaries out there?

normally..

[...]

Giuliano