Re: [Exim] Smarthost with an alternate port

Autor: Martin Hicks
A: Willie Viljoen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Smarthost with an alternate port
--
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 04:58, Willie Viljoen wrote:
> I think it's time to upgrade to Exim 4. There's no easy (and efficient) way
> to do this in Exim 3. In Exim 4, it can be done very easily.
>
> Place a normal Exim 4 style router in your configuration file at a point
> where routing this makes sence (after virus scanning, etc). The router
> should look like this:
>
> smarthost_router:
>         driver = manualroute
>         transport = remote_smtp_over_ssh
>         route_list = !+local_domains  127.0.0.1

> Note the difference in the transport line from the normal Exim 4 smarthost.
> Here we use remote_smtp_over_ssh as opposed to remote_smtp normally used
> here. Now, add this anywhere in the transports section of your configuration
> file:
>
> remote_smtp_over_ssh:
>        driver = smtp
>        port = 9025
>        allow_localhost

> This transport operates exactly like the remote_smtp transport that would
> normally be used, except that it allows you to deliver to localhost, and
> changes the SMTP port to 9025.
>
> I'm sure this can be done in Exim 3, but with great difficulty. I don't have
> access to a sample Exim 3 installation to try a possible set of
> configurations, so I can't get into that. I recommend upgrading to Exim 4
> anyway.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Will

This helped at lot. I'm still not getting it going though. Exim is
complaining about the smarthost being localhost.

(I'm using debian-sid, so the file references are based on their exim4
installation)

I have the following in
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp:

remote_smtp_over_ssh:
        driver = smtp
        port = 9025
        allow_localhost

and in /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/200_exim4-config_primary
I have:

smarthost:
driver = manualroute
transport = remote_smtp_over_ssh
route_list = * localhost
allow_localhost

In the logs I'm still getting the following:

2003-11-10 22:30:37 Start queue run: pid=5634 -qff
2003-11-10 22:30:37 1AJP3A-0001Ef-OA Unfrozen by forced delivery
2003-11-10 22:30:37 1AJP3A-0001Ef-OA remote host address is the local
host: bork.org
2003-11-10 22:30:37 1AJP3A-0001Ef-OA == andrea@??? R=smarthost
defer (-1): remote host address is the local host

I don't want a local delivery, I want bork.org to be sent to the
smarthost.

Suggestions?

mh

--