Re: [Exim] Smarthost with an alternate port

Author: Willie Viljoen
To: Martin Hicks, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Smarthost with an alternate port
I think it's time to upgrade to Exim 4. There's no easy (and efficient) way
to do this in Exim 3. In Exim 4, it can be done very easily.

Place a normal Exim 4 style router in your configuration file at a point
where routing this makes sence (after virus scanning, etc). The router
should look like this:

smarthost_router:
        driver = manualroute
        transport = remote_smtp_over_ssh
        route_list = !+local_domains  127.0.0.1

Note the difference in the transport line from the normal Exim 4 smarthost.
Here we use remote_smtp_over_ssh as opposed to remote_smtp normally used
here. Now, add this anywhere in the transports section of your configuration
file:

remote_smtp_over_ssh:
       driver = smtp
       port = 9025
       allow_localhost

This transport operates exactly like the remote_smtp transport that would
normally be used, except that it allows you to deliver to localhost, and
changes the SMTP port to 9025.

I'm sure this can be done in Exim 3, but with great difficulty. I don't have
access to a sample Exim 3 installation to try a possible set of
configurations, so I can't get into that. I recommend upgrading to Exim 4
anyway.

Hope this helps.
Will