Re: [Exim] Re: OT: Outlook don't support multilines 550 retu…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: OT: Outlook don't support multilines 550 return codes ?!?
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Alan J. Flavell writes on 11/8/2003 9:28 AM:
>
> > Meantime, I sure don't intend to be "generous in what I accept" from
> > spammers.
>
> Not all people who use broken MTAs / MUAs are spammers.

I hadn't meant to give that impression. Didn't I say that it was a
multi-faceted problem, and that all kinds of compromises seemed to be
called for?

> I have seen at least one "corporate firewall" type MTA - content
> technologies smtprs (mimesweeper / mailsweeper or whatever) choke on
> multiline smtp banners etc.

I've seen enough bogus rejection notices from "corporate mailsweepers"
to convince me that in nuisance terms they're little better than
spammers. In fact, as a result of recent experiences our spamassassin
has been fitted out to rate "you sent us a virus" or "somebody tried
to send you a virus" messages as clueless noise, and the notice that
used to say "rejected as spam" now reads "rejected as spam or bogus
virus alert".