Re: [Exim] Exim as a secondary MX

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim as a secondary MX
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:14:51PM +0100, Steffan Henke wrote:
[...]
> Now, what has actually happened is:
> Emails from ordb.org written as
> "marvin@??? were accepted by the secondary mx,
> relayed to the primary mx, which in turn didn't deliver them locally, but
> instead relayed to marvin@???, resulting in a temporary
> listing at ordb.org.
> My question about this is:
> why did the Exim box accept "marvin@??? in the
> first place ? Is that a valid address according to the RFC ?

Afaict from rfc2822, yes it is.

   "RCPT TO:" ("<Postmaster@" domain ">" / "<Postmaster>" / Forward-Path)
                    [SP Rcpt-parameters] CRLF

      Forward-path = Path
      Path = "<" [ A-d-l ":" ] Mailbox ">"
      Mailbox = Local-part "@" Domain

      Local-part = Dot-string / Quoted-string
      Quoted-string = DQUOTE *qcontent DQUOTE

> If it is, is there a way to reject messages written like that in Exim ?
> It should not relay them at all.

The default configuration does it.

|      deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.

| This statement uses regular expressions to reject addresses with local
| parts that contain any of the characters `@', `%', `!', `/', and `|',
| or that begin with dots. Although these characters are entirely legal
| in local parts (in the case of `@' and leading dots, only if correctly
| quoted), they do not normally occur in Internet mail addresses.

             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"