Re: [Exim] Severe Exim performance problem, with paradoxical…

Author: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
To: Scott Courtney
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Severe Exim performance problem, with paradoxical system statistics

Scott Courtney wrote:

> * Internet commentaries on Exim suggest that each of these two servers ought
> to be able to handle several times the load we are putting on them.

definitely - 20k mails/hour is not that much (we have about the same
amount of traffic here) and normally our maschines (quite simmiliar in
spec to yours) are really bored :-)

> * If you use telnet to connect to the inbound routers, however, you experience
> a delay of 10 to 45 seconds before getting the banner. THIS IS THE BIGGEST
> PART OF THE PROBLEM, in my opinion, and I think this is what's delaying
> the inbound messages.

running on of those problematic instances(those with the delay) in
debugging mode doesn't shield any light on were the delay occurs ? imho
this sounds very much like a DNS issue to me ...

Stefan