Re: [Exim] $acl_verify_message

Author: moseley
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] $acl_verify_message
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:23:14AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Oh, one thing, have you tried smtp_return_error_details?

I don't want the expanded error messages. But I did try setting that to
true but it didn't cause $acl_verify_message to print anything -- if
that was what you were suggesting.

> > BTW -- is it true that a header can only be added in the acl_check_data
> > (because acl_check_rcpt doesn't have any headers yet)?
>
> No. You can add headers in MAIL and RCPT ACLs. They get stored up and
> added to the received header lines when the message is received. Indeed
> TFM says, on page 246, under the description of "warn": "Header lines
> that are added by an ACL at MAIL or RCPT time are not visible in string
> expansions in the ACL for subsequent RCPT commands. However, they are
> visible in string expansions in the ACL that is run after DATA."

Yes, I read that in Your Fine Book, too (one reference was on page 329).
Which is why I was asking, because I originally added those four warn
statements to the acl_check_rcpt section and didn't get any headers at
all.

I'm still learning so I figured I'm doing something wrong.

And, since I'm still learning I was trying to setup my deny statements
as warns that add headers -- that way I could watch the effects for a
few days on live mail without really denying. Might be a nice switch
"deny_debug" that instead of denying it does nothing but adds a note in
the header.

BTW -- is there a way to *remove* a header in an ACL? For example, if I
add a header as a flag (e.g. flag as spam) it would be nice to know that
there's isn't already that header in the incoming message. I see the
section in the spec (43.13) but that's after the ACL where I would be
adding the header.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley