Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Martin Hamilton
CC: Ron McKeating, Jens Vonderheide, Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Martin Hamilton wrote:

| On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:22:10AM +0000, Ron McKeating wrote:

| | One our linux gurus Martin Hamilton does it with a perl script. i have
| | cc'd him into this mail, and if he not too busy he might tell you
| | himself how it works.

| Hi folks - see http://martinh.net/txt/exim-mrtg.html

Good stuff.

It does seem a slight shame to re-read the whole logfile each time.
Another option might be a process which essentially does a "tail -f" on
the log and increments counters as appropriate.

I remember ages ago Nigel suggested the perl File::Tail module. This
*almost* worked for us but seemed to occasionally get confused and rewind
back to start of file for no apparent reason - causing a huge spike in the
graphs. Never found a solution.

FWIW we now just do the "tail -f" thing ourselves in perl - something like:

for (;;)
{
  while ( <LOG> )
  {
    # while input present, process a log line
    # etc
  }

# write out the stats

# wait a bit
sleep 60;

# Clear end-of-file condition ( with a seek no-op ):
seek(LOG, 0, 1);
}

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service