Re: [Exim] Exim + Oracle on FreeBSD - a complication

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim + Oracle on FreeBSD - a complication
* Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@???> [20031107 13:24]: wrote:
> On (2003/11/07 13:12), Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
>
> > > I think you may have to build a Linux binary of Exim, and then run
> > > _that_ on FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > Crazy-sounding, I know. But it should work. You're likely to pull
> > > quite a bit of hair out during the process of tweaking the build,
> > > though.
> >
> > In other words, you are inversely suggesting that I'll have an easier
> > life running all this stuff under Linux. Pooh! And the way I have a
> > phobia for Linux...
>
> That depends on how much trouble you have building a Linux binary for
> Exim that'll work on FreeBSD.

Right. Am I correct in assuming that you are saying I go into a Linux
box, build an Exim binary with support for Oracle+Perl+MySQL then
move that to FreeBSD, pull a few hairs putting some libraries in
some paths, etc??

> If I were in your shoes, I'd throw a couple of hours at the problem.
> If nothing came of that, I'd use Linux instead of FreeBSD for this job.

I see.

> So much of IT comes down to using the right tool for the job. Oracle
> access and heavily-threaded Java are two applications that push me
> toward Linux.

I have a red hat 9 box sitting next to me for testing out stuff though
I have never had so much time to play with it. I think one of these
days I will.

> If you do go the Linux route, you'll probably find Gentoo Linux most
> comfortable, coming from a BSD background. FreeBSD's "make world" and
> ports systems are both rolled into's Gentoo's "emerge" system.

And I wonder if Oracle is so much supported on it as in Reda Hat or
is any Linux just Linux?

> And now I've taken us off-topic. Good thing we'red not cross-posting.
> ;-)

Quite true. No more posting this to the Exim list again because it's
irrelevant there.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post