Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net

Top Pagina
Auteur: Sheldon Hearn
Aan: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: Alan J. Flavell, Exim Users Mailing List
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net
On (2003/11/06 11:03), Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> >Concrete example of an MTA that you'd lose mail from, which can't be
> >described as misguided: MTA on a dynamic IP address using dynamic DNS
> >with a short TTL in the zone and ETRN to force the queue from a backup
> >MX.
>
> Who the _hell_ would use etrn in such a situation?

You'd be amazed. :-)

> uucp - or even pop3 - would be a good idea in such cases.

Very few providers seem to support UUCP these days, at least in South
Africa. Even UUNET SA, the last standing UUCP provider in South Africa,
stopped a while back (so I'm told by an ex-employee).

And POP3 quite simply blows goats. It's certainly no _better_ than
SMTP, and a darnsight worse at handling mid-transaction disconnects,
unless you operate in slow-and-cautious mode, in which case it's worse
in terms of performance. :-)

What I really want is compressed POP3, but why on earth would you
develop such a thing when you could just use UUCP? :-)

I'll do it either way, as long as the customer understands the
implications.

Ciao,
Sheldon.