Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Stephen Gran
A: exim-users
Cc: Odhiambo G. Washington
Asunto: Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net
--
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:38:08PM +0300, Odhiambo G. Washington said:
> * I. Forbes <iforbes-exim@???> [20031104 17:04]: wrote:
> > Hello All
> >
> > This is a bit off topic, but perhaps somebody can shed some light on
> > this problem.
> >
> > Our customers are complaining they can't send e-mail to addresses of
> > the format <user>@verizon.net.
> >
> > It seems their main incoming relay is doing some checking at the
> > "MAIL FROM:" command and the session times out.
> >
> > Any suggestions, I can't even send e-mail to <postmaster@???>
> > address? (Maybe someone can forward this to that address)

Yes, they are doing sender verify in a very broken way - I get this in
my logs every time I try to send to them:

2003-11-04 10:49:45 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=sc008pub.verizon.net [206.46.170.187]

Which means they don't do a normal smtp session, but just start sending
mail from: or rcpt to:, as I read it. They also do this _before_ any
acl's for postmaster, making it impossible to contact them. Very very
broken. I have sent them email from several of my other mail accounts
and have not yet heard back from them. Of course, I don't have access
to the mail spools on those accounts, so they may not have been able to
deliver to them either - it's only been about a week since I sent the
first one, so maybe my rejects will start coming in soon :(

Annoying, though. If the postmaster for verizon is indeed on this list,
could you _please_ let me know what you gain from this broken approach,
and why you can't configure your boxes to follow widely accepted
internet standards about how smtp is supposed to work? It's not the
sender verfiy that bothers me - that just lengthens my smtp a little,
while I wait to see if you'll accept the message. It's the rest - not
following normal smtp rules when doing the sender verify and not accepting
postmaster mail.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The human race has one really effective |
|  steve@???             | weapon, and that is laughter.   -- Mark |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Twain                                   |