Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net - Follow …

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Willie Viljoen
Para: exim-users, I. Forbes
Assunto: Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net - Follow up
Follow up:

I decided to also try sending mail to verizon with your address,
iforbes@???. And received the same error as you encountered, after an
extremely long time delay. This bothered me, so I tried sending a mail from
a non-existant domain, and immediately received a 550 error telling me I am
not allowed to send mail. Error 550 is usually sent to deny relaying after
an RCPT TO: command for an address the server does not own or relay for.
Sending 550 after MAIL FROM: is unusual, but verizon probably feel it is
necisary.

This leeds me to believe that these servers perform a practice known as
sender verification. Though not uncommon, it is combersome and creates long
wait times and alot of DNS traffic overhead. Basically, once you send the
MAIL FROM: command, the server first performs a DNS lookup on your domain,
once it has found the domain to exist and have a valid MX record, it
connects to the MX listed and attempts to send a mail back to the sender,
disconnecting just after RCPT TO: was accepted.

This helps to prevent spam, but causes several problems. I have a hunch
there is probably some issue with DNS or your primary MX, or perhaps a
connectivity issue between you and verizon which does not allow the verizon
server to connect back to yours. This could occur if a major overseas line
is down and asymetric routing is being used to compensate.

I don't know what else it can be. Check your DNS and mail servers, and phone
your ISP and make sure their network is functioning properly.

Will