[Exim] Quick query about system filters

Author: Tim Wiser
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Quick query about system filters
Hi,

We're using Exim 3.33 with a system filter. I've put a bit in the filter
that is meant to catch any emails that purport to come from a couple of
addresses and just delete them silently without producing a bounce.
I'm doing it this in the following way:

# stop john and admin@pennine messages being spread
if $header_from: contains "admin@???" or
$header_from: contains "john@???"
then
save /dev/null
seen finish
endif

However, when a message hits the filter and appears to come from those two
addresses, the message just sits on the queue and eventually times out.
This means that the queue is getting populated with emails that don't need
to be kept and it makes it hard to spot any problems when they DO occur.

I'm clearly doing something wrong - Can anyone advise?

TIA,
Tim.