Re: [Exim] dns_again_means_nonexist don't work for verify = …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Justo Alonso
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] dns_again_means_nonexist don't work for verify = reverse_host_lookup
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Justo Alonso wrote:

> I set dns_again_means_nonexist = * to reject all "SERVFAIL" or
> "non-authoritative host not found'... but don't work... I have in the log:
>
> 2003-10-29 13:25:32 H=(mail.movilab.net) [195.53.251.5] F=<roig_p@???>
> temporarily rejected RCPT <proigb@???>: host lookup deferred for
> reverse lookup check

dns_again_means_nonexist applies when the DNS resolver function
res_search() fails and sets h_errno to the value TRY_AGAIN. Maybe the
resolver you are using gives some other error return in this case.

The way to test this is to run a test with DNS debugging turned on:

exim -d+resolver -bh 195.53.251.5
<enter SMTP commands here>

See what gets output by the resolver debugging, and see whether the Exim
debugging says

DNS lookup of xxx (xxx) gave TRY_AGAIN

or not.