Re: [Exim] possible bug in exim-4.24

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Peter D. Gray
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] possible bug in exim-4.24
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:17:53PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
>> It does not override the errno. It *pre-sets* the errno to zero,
>> because strtoul does not set it in the case when it succeeds.
>
> Actually, does any system call set errno if it succeeds? I've read
> some man pages on linux calls and from what I can tell they only set
> errno on error.

Hang on, no system call/library routine
should set errno if it succeeds. The
value returned indicates if there was an error.
IF an error is indicated by the return
value then errno may be set.

You should never look at errno unless the value returned
by the system call indicated that it had an error.

From man 2 intro (solaris)

This section describes all of  the  system  calls.  Most  of
     these  calls  return  one or more error conditions. An error
     condition is indicated by  an  otherwise  impossible  return
     value.  This  is  almost  always -1 or the null pointer; the
     individual  descriptions  specify  the  details.   An  error
     number  is  also  made  available  in  the external variable
     errno, which is not  cleared  on  successful  calls,  so  it
     should be tested only after an error has been indicated.

Regards,
pdg

--

See mail headers for contact information.